User, or 'use' if you prefer, cases are often taken for granted but they are a powerful tool for highlighting not just features and functionality but also the reasons for why they exist in the first place.
When it comes to replicating real world systems in the digital space this is essential as the medium are different, which can come as a surprise to stakeholders unfamiliar with digital interaction and engagement.
I started by refining the existing wireframes into a series of lengthy hi-fi prototypes, heavily annotated to show where experience told me the system would fail. Repeat user testing consistently showed a correlation with the results I had predicted and major changes to the system were made.
I began to work more closely with the SME’s modifying text and user stories and journeys and explaining where and why user behaviour would require a slightly different approach.
Although overly complex for what they needed to be, they did facilitate the change of approach that was needed.
In addition the accessibility of the site proved to be less than desirable, making basic but easily rectified mistakes, such as Call to Actions only being available halfway up at page. I ran reports and tests and the results changed the way the site was coded and laid out. This in turn was carried on through to the Directgov site.
My final act was to hand over the much improved and much better documented system to a new team of designers.